I provide many free original block patterns and quilt designs on this site for quilters to enjoy sewing and using the finished items in their homes or giving them as gifts. However, all content on this site is protected by international copyright law and certain restrictions govern their use. The conditions below apply only to the FREE patterns on this site, and do NOT include the use of any current or future Piece By Number retail patterns, or component blocks thereof. Please contact me if your situation is not covered below or if you have any questions.
- Personal Use: You may use the free patterns, designs, and written information offered on Piece By Number’s web site for personal use only (including gifts). Individuals may share these patterns with friends and guild members in their original form (as printed from the internet) with the Piece By Number name, web site address and copyright statement intact. Permission for personal use also includes the making, display and photography of a quilt or pieced project from any of my patterns/designs for a show or competition. Please credit “Beth Maddocks, Piece By Number” as the source of the design.
- Making Items for Sale: You may create a maximum of TWO items for sale using any FREE Piece By Number block pattern or quilt design without charge or requesting further permission. If more than two items will be made for sale with any block pattern or quilt design, then a licensing fee is required for that use, either a percentage of sales or an annual licensing fee for unlimited use during a calendar year. Please contact me for more information on licensing fees.
- Classes and Workshops: Piece By Number’s free patterns and designs may be used by teachers for classes and workshops, under the following conditions. If the class or workshop is offered by a guild or a shop, whether or not the teacher receives payment for the instruction, the cost per block pattern per student is US $2.00. For the Double Dutch Rose and Grandma’s Tea Party quilt patterns, the cost is US $5.00 per student. Teachers who wish to use one of Piece By Number’s patterns or quilt designs to teach children (under the age of 18) may do so without charge or requesting further permission.
- Making Items for Charity or Donation: Quilt guilds and other quilt groups are welcome to use Piece By Number’s free patterns/designs to make quilts and other items for charity without charge or requesting further permission, either to give the items made directly to those in need, or to create items used to raise money (such as a raffle) for charitable purposes.
- Links to Other Web Pages: Links from your web pages to Piece By Number pages are very much welcomed! However, the lifting of, or hot-linking to, any of my patterns, graphics or other content for incorporation into other web pages or any other media is prohibited without prior written permission from Piece By Number.
- Sales as Patterns or in Kits: Reproduction and distribution of the free Piece By Number patterns and designs for sale, or for inclusion in kits for sale (for example, on eBay, Etsy, or in your shop) are expressly prohibited without prior written permission from Piece By Number.